Thursday, December 28, 2006

Guide To Whipple Hill

By JimP
On Peter's request, I have put together this little guide to the structures I found at the Whipple Hill Conservation Area. All labels are approximate. Click on the image for a higher resolution of the satellite photo.


A. Skyline Dr. is where I parked my car.
B. Area of the pyramid stones around two boulders.
C. Enormous stone heaps.
D. Earthen dam with large rocks.
E. Clearing with edge heap. (note: this clearing might technically be part of the adjoining Locke Farm Conservation Area)
F. Three more stone heaps behind homes.

6 comments :

pwax said...

So is it true that all of the large stone mounds or "heaps" are along a little brook which feeds from F down to C where the brook forms the lower of the two ponds?

JimP said...

I don't recall seeing any brook there at all.

pwax said...

You can make it out as a dip in the land running from F up to C.

JimP said...

I know it looks like that in the satellite image, I just don't remember seeing it. I would have had to cross it twice and I don't think I crossed any brooks at all. But it could be my memory is even worse than I might've thought, or it was sufficiently dry that the brook was dry. Since I'm 2,700 miles away, I'll leave it to you to confirm it someday.

pwax said...

Yes there is a dry brook in there. I remember noticing it went right by the large mound at the pond's edge.

JimP said...

Oh okay. I must've just dismissed it as a drainage gully or something. I have no memory of it at all. I'm glad you do. Thanks.