Friday, April 13, 2012

Lunch break find- Crude quartz artifact

Today I had a chance to get out for a few minutes at lunchtime and check out a little spot in an area where I have found arrowheads. I picked up this crude little quartz artifact. It looks like it has some damage to the "ears" at the bottom and it is asymmetrical and not very aerodynamic-looking. In my opinion this is not just a chip or flake but rather a definitely worked piece that is or was a tool. I might guess that this could have been used as a knife or scraper, I suppose it could also be a crude projectile point, maybe something unfinished, or a reworked point that could no longer be resharpened and was discarded.

Here it is with some triangular arrowheads I found around the same area in the past. It is similar but not the same. The material is the same and the flaking varies on the arrowheads, some are finely flaked, others more crude.
Any comments on this find would be welcome. It is nothing spectacular or impressive but it is my best find this month, any find for me is a good find, and it is a special treat to be able to find something during my lunch break during the week.

No comments :