Sunday, November 27, 2022

Another (possibly last) walk in Tiverton

Entering Tiverton from the north on Rt 24, you climb a hill from Fall River, MA up to the sign welcoming you to Rhode Islands. From there south to Fish Rd, you can see interesting boulder filled woods on either side of the highway. I went to take a look, choosing the east side to explore and wishing I could also explore the west side. I got lucky because there was a fine culvert underneath the highway - empty but with enough room for a camp of homeless - that took me to the other side.

So, west side of the highway, a few inconspicuous outlines:



And a split-filled rock:

There is almost always some evidence of ceremonialism.

Back on the east side of the highway, I headed north towards the Massachusetts line, encountering a few signs ("evidence") here and there. 

Then into an area of old foundations and rock piles - a familiar but still confusing combination of things. This looked like a pretty large mound. From above:

and below:

Several acres like this:

Then (speaking of snakes) this has to be one of the shortest on record:
Rather than making a coherent story, let me just list some of the other things I noticed:

A place where the stone wall went through a dramatic change in height. I looked for fallen rocks nearby but there were no more than the usual. I decided this was deliberate. It was for something. I think it was for the shadow. 

A "cairn" on an outcrop, used as a fireplace: 


More rock piles:


A house foundation that was quite deep:
There was a boulder in the middle. I think it must have been put there later. 

An outline against the wall:

More piles:


This last one has a bit of shape.

Overall, a minor site in a forgotten bit of woods along Rt. 24 at the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border. As far as I can tell there is almost nothing in the woods further south, so if you are from that area it may be worth a visit. You park at Longplex and walk north.

1 comment :

Tim MacSweeney said...

It does seem that "There is almost always some evidence of ceremonialism," if one chooses to look for it...