Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Back to Church Rock

I wrote about this pile before [click here]. It is in the area just north of Mt Wachusett in the woods adjacent to a place labeled "Church Rock" on the topo map. I always thought this was an evocative name but, in the end, I think it is a cliff and not a boulder. Anyway it is hard going in there, with lots of downed trees under foot, so I am still not sure I got to the named rock. There was a familiar pile on the way.
I thought it interesting that this pile has no hollow and no appearance of rectangularity. It is a domed oval. It just does not look like a field clearing pile with its uniform sized component rocks and its height.Note the curve of the pile, visible from this last view of the pile.

Looking back...come on, that's ceremonial.

1 comment :

Tim MacSweeney said...

I agree with you, it looks ceremonial, especially looking at the last photo - and the view of the stone rows in the area on Bing maps - lots of irregular patterns and much stone work