Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Maya Site

[not rock pile related]

"Marco Gonzales is a Maya archaeological site located near the southern tip of Ambergris Caye off the coast of Belize...roughly 3.6 metres (12 ft) above sea level, slightly higher than the surrounding swamps due to accumulated anthrosol, soil composed primarily of artefacts (e.g., pottery, tools), conch and other shells, building remains and other debris resulting from millennia of human habitation. The presence of artefacts beneath the mangal swamps indicates that the site was once larger than what is presently exposed...There are at least 49 distinct structures and walls within the presently mapped area of the site..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Gonzalez
And I'll add that I just might have a few original photos from here in the near future...
And then I'll add this:
I guess the Gonzales Site may be sort of more Mound Related, rather than Rock Pile Related, but aren’t both sort of related to each other? And I see the word “anthrosoil” used to describe what makes up this “bump,” this mound, on the landscape (that sounds like the Human Made Mounds in the Amazon previously thought to be natural features). When I see the sights at this “site in the rough” maybe it might give a me a little insight to the sites in the rough I see…The photo is from http://www.marcogonzalezmayasite.com/history.php where there’s more info.

No comments :