Sunday, October 14, 2012

Back from Belize

Where do I start to tell you about an incredible experience that almost feels as if I dreamed it? 
I had all these choices of Maya sites to visit in Belize, Lamania and all the rest on the mainland, but instead I called Jan Brown, pictured below, and visited a relatively undeveloped Maya site called Marcos Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve, about four or five miles south of the hotel my wife Roberta and I stayed at on Amergris Caye.  
 
The site - the National Park, I should say - is a human made mound, with other mounds on it, combinations of stones of many types, shells of many types and an endless array of artifacts that I walked on with every single step I took, fragments of pottery and projectile points, pieces of jewelry and human bones that bound together the "black dirt" called Anthrosol.
Here's the official website for more info - I just wanna post a photo or two for now:
(A Google search will bring you (and I) more information if you like, but for now, here's some photos:)
(Jan points out the first of many human bones to me above, and a close up is below...)
And then I went back the next day, a day that I had the entire National Park to myself, with the exception of the only employee, Jacob, the 22 year old caretaker who has been working at the site for 10 years...

No comments :