Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Stony Lady (Morris CT)

A newspaper story from 1991 and a “Chronicle” from an 1859 Litchfield History:
    I had just started seriously looking into the idea of "Indian-made Stonework," mostly by questioning what had been written about zigzag stone walls since my observations of the ones in my yard and near what a local history of my town inferred was a Contact Village site differed so much, when the above story appeared in two local newspapers. Sometime during the previous year, I had read the Litchfield history below (and Manitou by Mavor and Dix as well) and took it upon myself to go back to the library and copy a couple pages for Mr. Towne of an old newspaper article about a seemingly similar "statue" found back in 1834 on the other side of Bantam Lake from his farm:


 Above: the "Stone Image" excerpt; below: the whole of what I copied that includes a bigoted "demonized" view of a young Pootatuck girl's passage into womanhood as a "human sacrifice:"


(Peter, Norman and I once took a look at the "Lady" one day in 1998.)

5 comments :

Norman said...

There was an article about a half dozen Indian carved stone heads found in farmer's fields that appeared in a NEARA Journal about five or so years back. Also, I don't recall seeing the "Stone Lady," but then again there is a lot I don't remember these days.

Matt Howes said...

There is a stone idol sort of similar to this (but different) in the hills of Milford, MA. that I never got around to photographing. It is at least 4- 4 and a half ft. tall. It is more of a ginger-bread man/ woman shape without arms and legs (very much like a smaller charm stone I noticed nearby). In it's current state the large stone idol lies flat on the ground but it is easy for me to tell the features- where the head is, and also that the base is wide enough to support the weight of the stone standing up.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the post.kindly visit us @ bank exams classes in chennai

Tim MacSweeney said...

I think we just kind of stood around it for a few minutes - after driving quite a distance to see it. If it were this past November, I'd have taken you to some more interesting things within a mile of there, such as that interestingly stacked undulating Serpent stone wall with all the quartz I was just posting about, that "Stone Wall Segment" here: http://rockpiles.blogspot.com/2016/01/stone-wall-segment.html

Kalam Training Academy said...

Wow..Its really so beautiful..Thanks a lot for sharing..
Best Tnpsc Coaching Centre in Chennai
Best ssc Coaching Centre in Chennai
Best Ias Academy in Chennai
Best Group Exam Coaching Centre in Chennai
Best Bank Exam Coaching Centre in Chennai