Friday, June 10, 2016

Rock Pile in Ontario CA

From a reader in CA:
I live in eastern Ontario and have a cottage on a lake [at the tag end of the Canadian shield] in the County Central Frontenac. I went for a walk in the woods, it was once farm land and who knows what before that and came across a rock pile that held my interest. 
No homes had been built anywhere near the area in the decades I've been in the area so I questioned why such a big rock pile would have been created in the middle of trees.  It has nagged at me so this spring before the foliage came along I took a pic. I have attached it to get your opinion. 
I understand that it is a difficult thing to determine if it is something legit by a pic but it feels like it means something, I just don't know what.  I have not disturbed the pile except to clear some leaves for size and context. I would like to learn more about rock piles and their significance. There are a couple other smaller piles in the woods, near each other.

Where could I find the aboriginal history of the area?
I appreciate any help or guidance you might offer.

4 comments :

pwax said...

Looks pretty structured to me. Like this:
http://rockpiles.blogspot.com/2013/09/reader-steve-w-writes-ive-found-two.html

Chayse Davey said...

If it was once farmland, the Family would've had their children go out into the fields and gather all the rocks since the Canadian Shield is quite rocky. And the answer to your question is that they were piled for clearing fields

Unknown said...

Think
it's a grave iv found plenty archaic sites

Unknown said...

It's seems to be within the last 400 years by the orientation of the grave