Saturday, April 22, 2023

Large Rock Pile with Enclosure, from PA

[From Norman Muller]

Going through some old photos, I came upon this image of a large cairn supposedly somewhere in Berks or Bucks Co., PA.  What I found interesting was the stone enclosure at one end.  That reminded me of an enclosure I had photographed in Westkill, NY ages ago (0097).  And then I remembered another small enclosure at one end of a large cairn, also in Westkill.  The enclosures look like sacred spaces, perhaps to leave offerings.



2 comments :

pwax said...

I recall a place with numerous examples of these "enclosure next to large rock pile". Was it College Rock?... It all is beginning to slip away.

pwax said...

It came back overnight: it was enclosures next to boulders (not rock piles) at College Rock in Hopkinton, MA, nearer the southern entrance.