Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rock Piles in the Blue Ridge Mountains

An email:
pictures of rock formations and structures we have on our land down here in south west Virginia. After first noticing that they didn't look natural, and thinking "what is this? and why the heck would anyone put so much effort into building it up here in a hollow", I went looking around on line and came across your posts. Must say I was very skeptical at first but now I'm seeing many similarities with my rock piles.

I've kept very quiet about them locally and would prefer to keep their location private but I would very much welcome your opinion as to if they look man made to you. I started a blog about them but still have more pictures to upload. I started with the first pile of rocks at the entrance to a hollow and plan to post pictures of the different ones as you head up in there. I think I've found Twins, and a platform pile and I'll post pictures of those next. I'm also pretty excited to have found what appears to be a turtle and will post pics of that after I get through with the rocks in the hollow.

Here's the link:

http://tothegreenwoodgone.blogspot.com/

Thank you for your time.

3 comments :

Norman said...

Having seen unusual stone constructions from Maine to Georgia, and what I consider to be American Indian, what you have posted looks very much like the features I have seen all along the East Coast.

pwax said...

Norman:
Didn't you publish a rock pile that was like the large wall in the photos?

Norman said...

I have photos of similar rock piles in Woodstock, NY. There are also piles of this sort in the Finger Lakes region of NY. I'll send you a few to post on your blog.