Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stone Chamber - Concord MA

Reader and neighbor Carol M writes about a chamber that was first described by Mark Strohmeyer (see also here):

I came across this chamber to the north of the spring that runs through yellow birch swamp (aptly named). It was on a hill east of the spring, towards Black Birch Hill (aka Hubbard's Hill - also aptly named. If you lie down inside the chamber, it quite nicely accomodates a body, and there are two pieces of quartz embedded in the walls on each side of your shoulders. Two sides of the chamber are well built and even. There is a wall running on either side of the chamber, however, it did not appear to my amateur eye that the rocks were used for the chamber. Very interesting piece of work!

5 comments :

pwax said...

Good find Carol! I found this years ago, but I was following directions.

Norman said...

This was shown to me fourteen years ago by the late Steve Ells, a Thoreauvian scholar, who told me that Mark Strohmeyer showed it to him. It was this feature that drew me into the study of American Indian stonework. Strohmeyer told me to read Manitou, and later I met Fred Werkheiser, a school chum of Mark, who then showed me the Oley Hills site.

Geophile said...

So that's how it happened, Morman. I have always wished I'd met Mark.

pwax said...

Maybe Norman showed it to me first? We have all been showing each other stuff in Estabrook for several years now.

Geophile said...

Of course I meant to say Norman. Failed to proofread. Sorry!