Tuesday, February 21, 2012

An interesting site near Gibbs Mountain

The leftmost blue outline is on one of three rock pile sites I found on Saturday while exploring in the vicinity of Gibbs Mountain in Marlborough, MA. I posted a short video earlier (here) and want to do my best to describe this place in pictures.
The site is the northwest-facing slope of a level knoll, with stone walls coming to a corner at the back of the knoll. The slope is flat (but not level). Here is a sketch. I tried to make it a faithful rendering of the what can be seen in the panorama photos that follow:I am struck by a herring-bone pattern that is new to me. Do you see what I mean?

Here is a view back down:Sure looks as if the soil is pushed down between the piles. Let's take a closer look at that:
Again:The meaning hovers beyond reach. But there is something a little familiar about this place. With a sense of some alignment and some even spacing it is like a marker pile site. Perhaps we are catching the phenomenon at a certain point in its evolution. Or perhaps this is something else entirely. Certainly the herring-bone is unique in my experience.
Here is a view from within the site of where the walls meet behind.

2 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

Darn! Too many pines to see from the Bird's Eye at Bing!Where would that junction be on the drawing???

pwax said...

It would be in the middle just directly behind the large rock by about 50 feet.