Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Inviting wilderness

Look at this spot - about 40 minutes away from here in southern New Hampshire - no roads:
When I look at this and imagine how many rock pile sites must be hidden there waiting to be discovered - places which haven't been looked at or seen in many years, then I wish I could go out and explore it all. But there is too much of it. My friend from Carlisle says: we are going to have to make some new friends.

We all live a few minutes from places like this. How about checking the map of somewhere near you and heading out? I am going to try to get to Townsend which is a little south of the place in this map. If you do not know how to look, one simple way is: just follow the water.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

When I look at the map and think of where I'd be drawn to, the water features occur to me first also. I'd especially be drawn to what looks like a flood plain at the foot of Badger Hill, because it looks like where I live. I also see those topolines close together (and south facing) and think "rockshelter." Besides the peak I see flat spots nearby where I'd expect some stone placements because there's lots of room. I looked at some of the historic maps but couldn't find the spot, but the changes and old names would perhaps reveal clues about land use. The jeep trail makes me wonder if it was maybe an old indian trail...