Monday, March 21, 2011

Sawyer Hill/Gates Pond. Site (C) and portholes in a wall.

With reference to the map here, let me describe a rock pile site consisting of simple rock-on-rock and minor piles, scattered up a hillside, with perhaps 15 piles like these:
These are beaten down remnants, in a hemlock grove. Let's climb the hill, following the piles on up:Many of them had the appearance of "gap piles" - a simple rock pile a few feet from another rock.Right on up the hill to the highest pile I saw: a simple pile reminiscent of "twins".But the lowest pile on the hill carries a special message, or at least suggests something of key importance:That porthole in the wall, behind the rock pile, is the focus of this spot. It was unmistakable. I have to imagine light passing through that hole.

Sometimes I see these portholes and do not consider them important - they could just be a clever use of a flat "lintel" rock to span a part of the wall efficiently. But such a porthole must have more significance than that. Closely tied to the special properties of this spot.

5 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

Nice to the the stone rows making appearences. Some very interesting stones as well as the hole...

pwax said...

I have the bad habit of ignoring the walls. I am going to change that and start always making them part of any report for a site where they are present.

Tim MacSweeney said...

I think of the term "walls" as relating to structures or retaining walls, "stone fences" as what we've learned to call stone walls after 1659 (where I live, anyway)and stone rows as the older constructions, the combination of firebreaks (that I can easily understand) and a cultural ceremonialism (that I'm trying to understand). I see what Larry calls symbolism in the stone rows you have included in posts.

him said...

Nice to the the stone rows making appearences. Some very ibcbetsay..

sbobet said...

-on-rock andsbo
sbo
minor piles,