Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Strange Bedfellows: a letter box hidden in a split wedged rock

Walking counter-clockwise around Gates Pond in Berlin, just a moment before I started seeing rock piles, I saw a split wedged rock next to the road.What is that in the back of the split? Closer look reveals a tupperware container. Inside were instructions about "letterboxing" and "please do not disturb...this is not litter". Actually, no, it is litter but pretty harmless. Ironic that current users of this hiding place will not see it for what it is.

3 comments :

Menotomy Vintage Bicycles said...

"Ironic that current users of this hiding place will not see it for what it is."


I have a theory which says Letterboxers and Geocache people are drawn to spots for the depositing of their caches.
They don’t realize why they felt the need to choose a particular rock or tree in which to stash their cache. But that location has pulled them in, as it has pulled in other people over the millennia.

Just my theory.

Tim MacSweeney said...

I know of two by where I live, one in a rectangular hearth on top of a probble rock shelter, another in a small niche in the bedrock above a waterfall. A couple years ago, near Ossining NY, I was with two friends who were looking for another geocache; they wandered around a bit and I found the tupperware box while looking at the stones in a rock pile - it was tucked underneath one of the stones....

Geophile said...

I have found them at some interesting places, too.