Monday, May 09, 2011

A smidgeon of a site off the Philbin Solomon Trail in Bolton MA

I was poking around in the wet area downhill from a new development and saw rock piles at the edge of the water:These could be from field clearing except that, nearby, this one could not be:I was wondering about the rock that sticks out of the ground a few feet (to the left in the picture) from the pile. It might be lining up with another of the few rocks poking up nearby.But I did not see an alignment with the pile. Note, some of the rocks in the center of the pile are white feldspar.

I should add that the pile next to the water only has some of the characteristics of a field clearing pile - being messy and at the bottom of a slope. Other characteristics are absent: there is no sorting of sizes into adjacent piles, there is no angle of repose.

I kept trying out two alternative hypotheses, saying "this looks good to be from field clearing" or "this looks good to be a ceremonial pile". Walking through these old farm lands, the field clearing hypothesis is always near the surface of my thinking. As I went, I tried out one hypothesis or the other. Usually the ceremonial wins out - probably my bias but, on the other hand, I figure many of the farmers out here in Bolton (especially near Peach Hill) were probably Indians.

3 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

Yet in the last photo, you can see a nearby stone row. Why wouldn't a person clearing the land, plowing up stones and picking them out, put them on the fence, out of the field?

sbobet said...

sip bro...langsung ke TKP..
mo cek harsbobetganya nih

sbobet said...

sip bro...langsung ke TKP..
mo cek harsboganya nih