Sunday, January 08, 2012

A shrine

A friend took me to a nice place in Carlisle MA yesterday to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather we enjoyed here this weekend. There was a lot of stonework in the woods, ranging from typical early American stone walls to more enigmatic features including standing stones and possible effigy forms. I wanted to share these photos of a feature that I thought was interesting, this is built into a stone row that runs along a brook at the bottom of a rocky slope. There is an opening in the row and this feature is adjacent to the opening, facing the water. I believe this little niche and the apertures above it are deliberate features in this structure and I would like to call this a "shrine" although that is admittedly based more on speculation than anything else.

The leaning slab at the end of the row on the left has a familiar shape and I wonder if this stood upright at some time in the past.

2 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

"(Native American) Sacred places include mountains, lakes, piles of rocks, unusually-shaped mounds, middens, caves, burial rounds, rock art cites, ceremonial grounds, doctoring or training grounds..."
http://scholar.valpo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1320&context=vulr

Anonymous said...

I know this area well. Look very carefully here. It is far more enigmatic than you think....