Thursday, May 04, 2006

Moving the cemetery marker

Before I was interested in rock piles I was interested in arrowheads, it is a long story, but one of the consequences of all that is that we are where we are today because of it. One thing involved trying to prevent the cemetery committee from completely taking over an area where I used to find lots of arrowheads, leading to them setting aside a piece of their property where I proposed to erect a historic marker. Well it has taken years to get through various stages of this project and we are almost there, finally. Here is the plaque, during the process of grinding out an inset into the stone selected by my friend from Carlisle.
Here is me and the rock:
Here is my friend - who knows everybody including, it turned out, the highway guys who were helping out with the moving. In his usual inimitable style, my friend brought the rock down from his driveway in his Dad's Model A truck:
Here is the stone in motion:
I am afraid that the hole is so deep, that much of this beautiful rock will end up buried. I'll show you when it is done. The plywood is covering the hole.

So this is my excuse for not blogging more lately.

1 comment :

Geophile said...

Congratulations. Impressive accomplishment. Hopefully it will increase awareness of the fact that we are not the first to live on the land we use every day.