Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Fenton Rd, Leominster State Forest (continued)

... So I went back to the trail and walked back sotuhward towards the end of Fenton Road and when I got to the stream crossing I got off trail to explore down along the brook. Pretty soon there was a first rock pile beside the stream with the sense that there were others beyond, and there they were. First one or two, then some small clusters. But not too many solitary rock-on-rocks. With all the sound of running water going by, that puts this site sort of into the category of "Above the Falls" in Bolton. I made videos:



And here is one nice cluster off to the side: Here is another that caught my eye, and another by the brook that I thought was nice:
Still more.As I look at these pictures I am struck by the similarity in structure of 1st, 3rd, and 4th. They all have a curved trailing away structure made of three or four stones. Also my forced comparison with "Above the Falls" causes me to look more carefully at the relation between the two piles in that last photo. Is that a "gap" between them?

2 comments :

kathryn said...

THE OLD PLACE PHILLIP'S POND

The old place belonged to grandpa in those days. Today it belongs to the State of CT.
I have painted it as it looked when I was a small child, spending the day there with grandpa.
While he worked I would go fishing in Phillip's pond that had belonged to grandpa's folk
generations before me. I loved to go through the brook in the wagon as the water flew
around, splashing every where. Today everything is changed. the State planted thousands
of trees,changed the brook and the road. This is NOW known as Patcheug forest
memory of Pearl Pratt his great granddaughter

kathryn said...

He died at voluntown ct on may 19, 1889. He had gone through the woods.(like the kids went to school)
to go to the post office and the store acrossed from the Wylies School. When he didn't come home grandpa (Willard William Or (Willie) Gardner) went to look for him and found him dead in the woods.
memory of Pearl Pratt his great granddaughter