Monday, November 20, 2006

A gully beside Wachusett Str (site 2)

*****************[Continued from previous, see map]******************

From there we drove west on Wachusett Street and I soon spotted another rock-on-rock north of the road. This gully was another of the places I had wanted to explore while planning the day's outing. I got out of the car for a look and, once I got over to the first rock-on-rock, I could see more piles beyond. Here is a view back towards the road:
And here was a split-wedged rock with its feet in the water:
The second pile, also with its feet in the water, had a quartz rock. Here is a view from the other side:Here is one more pile in the brook:We continued upstream until we came to a large tumble of rocks which I interpret as an old mill. Rock piles post-dating and downstream from a mill is a hard thing to get my head around but I think it can happen. Anyway, I am not sure what this large pile is.
I think it is clear that these other features are ceremonial.

No comments :