Monday, March 26, 2012

Find in Melondy Hill SF - NY

by theseventhgeneration
Hiking with a group to see the stone piles in Melondy Hill State Forest, we were surprised to find the usual hiking trail freshly disturbed because of a current logging job. In some places, it made the hiking difficult, while in others, we could hike along the dirt path without sinking down. About a half mile from the stone piles in Melondy Hill State Forest, I saw a bit of black in the logging trail that looked different from the normal sandstone pieces all over. I bent down to pick it up and, lo and behold:The group was hiking at a decent rate (about a mile an hour) so there was no opportunity for an in sito photo. In addition, I was not even certain about what I had, so when I called out to Don, he was thrilled to verify that it was, in fact, an arrowhead. The photo was taken later along in the hike, which is why it is not cleaned up in the photos. The elevation where I found this is about 1,650 feet.

8 comments :

pwax said...

Wow. It must be surprising to come across and arrowhead like that. Good spotting!

Chris Pittman said...

Fantastic find!

theseventhgeneration said...

Thanks! That is the first arrowhead I've ever found. I found a stone tool a few years ago, but never an arrowhead. Don is going to have it looked at to identify it. Also, I found it about half a mile away from the rock pile site.

pwax said...

It looks close to a "Brewerton" but a bit different.

theseventhgeneration said...

Don mentioned Brewerton, but then said he wasn't sure and that he's not an expert in ID'ing these. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him. Incidentally, Don said he's been wanting to find a point near a rock pile site for over a decade, and even wrote about this in his paper, "Stone piles in Chenango County" (2000).

Menotomy Maps said...

Great find!

pwax said...

I don't believe that finding an arrowhead anywhere is evidence of a connection to something else found 5 feet away. Unless the arrowhead comes from the rock pile.

theseventhgeneration said...

I don't disagree with you on this point (no pun intended). However, I do intend on going back out and looking around more in case the spot where this arrowhead was found has more to offer. There are no obvious rock piles up there.