Wednesday, February 01, 2006

More from Norman Muller

Norman writes: Last spring I visited XXX near Springfield, MA, and he showed me some sites near where he lives. We drove to the small town of Washington, where he showed me a small chamber near a country road and built the side of a slope. It was no more than three feet high and too small for a person. In retrospect, I am reminded of the small chambers I saw in RI last weekend, which were about the same size. On top of the lintel stone of the Washington example, in the very center, was a large piece of pure hematite, purplish red in color and very heavy. Hematite was a source of red ochre.

XXX then took me to some other sites, and one of the most unusual features I saw that day was a very large cairn, at least seven feet tall and topped with a piece of quartz that had a small chamber built into its base. I had never seen anything quite like it before, and I have no idea what its significance might be.

1 comment :

pwax said...

I think this "cairn" is kind of intersting. I am noticing the large rocks scattered about the base. The cairn itself looks pretty modern, it is in good shape and there is not much lichen or graying of the rock. But those larger rocks at the base might have been from an older rock pile. Just a thought.