Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Stone wall beginnings off Fenton Rd, Leominster State Forest

When I made these videos I thought they were examples of short stretches of stone walls. But in both cases I later saw that the wall was more extensive and led off into the impenetrable depths of the mountain laurel, downhill. Yet I doubt that these walls are particularly "agrarian", they seem to be celebrating the same water flow out from the hillside as are the rock piles, which are clustered about on the same hillside.



And this is the way it is, so far, off of Fenton Rd. There is always a little further you did not yet explore, and there is always a reason for going back. It is wonderful to be able to explore -essentially- a wilderness; like the guys going into the Honduran jungle to find Mayan pyramids. Who knew you could do the equivalent in Massachusetts?

3 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

I call them "Stone Rows."

pwax said...

I should too.

Larry said...

-Kind of an odd and interesting hobby you have.-Glad I came across your blog by chance.