Thursday, April 22, 2010

Turtle Cairn - Spruceton NY

Robert Buchanan writes:

Attached is a picture of a turtle cairn taken on the Sunday field trip to the Spruceton site. The site has many well constructed cairns including 3 turtle cairns.

The eye of the pictured cairn was formed by a notch (or cavity) left by a stone that had fallen or been removed from the conglomerate head stone. This cavity collects rainwater and so forms a wet mark around the eye that can be seen in the image. Update: Norman Muller sends this photo from Killingworth: Hard not to agree that these two examples are very similar.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

I have seen the first image in my dream many years ago. I have never been to New York???? My name is William McNabb. I live in Arkansas. In the dream I was lost in the woods a small boy with no fear of what was going on. Another little boy was climbing on the turtle, and I said 'boy somebody sure loves turtles, the little boy replied 'yeah', I questioned weather or not to remove the stones, then I considered it to possibly be a burial site and decided to walk away, asking myself if things would always be this way. I was alone. The little boy was not to be seen, yet he would always be with me. I simply knew this. I walked through the forest until things went dark, then I awoke. Please I would love to see this in person, as the dream itself haunts me. My other email is nabber03@yahoo.com . Army Retired. Thank you kindly for your time