Sunday, July 18, 2021

Name that rock


I am posting a new pic of this material, against a neutral background, an unpolished surface.

I believe this is called a metamorphic igneous rock. Does it have a name? It is from glacial gravel on the beach.

Previously Had:

Can anyone offer a clue about what kind of rock this is? It looked like granite at first but it is mostly a reddish mineral:

What I take to be a working edge, was upper-right in first pic, lower-right in second pic. Here:


Norman said...

The rock should be photographed against a neutral or light grey background to bring out the true color of the stone. And a close-up
photo of a clean or broken surface would also help to identify the kind of stone.

Curtiss Hoffman said...

Looks like a quartzite to me.