Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Quartz point from Raynham, MA

First in a long time, since retiring and looking for new places to hunt. I do not really count the ones from places that Chris P. showed me (see here). I found this location all on my own by looking at aerial photos and following the strategy which Chris taught me: it is about farms next to water.

Finding this with nothing more than planning and a little foot work was deeply satisfying. It is maybe the seventh or eight place I drove to on spec. There: all I found was broken quartz, as I may have mentioned. Here: I spent an hour exploring a small 1/8 acre bit of dirt, found two broken axe bits made of quartz, only a couple quartz flakes, and this little beauty which, itself, is little more than a quartz flake. It seems somehow different in its significance to find a location by looking at maps versus already living somewhere with arrowheads (Concord) or stumbling on one during a random outing (Devil's Foot Island in Woods Hole). 

Here we are, in Raynham on the banks of the Forge River:
And here is a closeup of my find:

1 comment :

pwax said...

Chris P. says this is a "Stemmed Squibnocket" point.