Saturday, June 10, 2023

Dreaming of the Pawnee Grasslands - highly polished tools

I did not realize at the time that these were the same sorts of implement. It makes me want to go back to the Pawnee Grasslands of Colorado and look for others.

The lower left edge is sharpened and damaged. The back side of the orange one has some hard-use abrasion:
I have to say, these rocks were more confusing than usual. First of all, what are these things? And second of all, why are they both so polished?

Well I am going to say they are some kind of swiss army knife - combining a cutting edge with an abrading surface. 

It took me a while to remember what makes rocks so shiny. It is when they have spent a long time in someone pocket. So I am only speculating that these people were very mobile. They kept their best swiss army knife with them. These tools spent a lot of time in someone's pocket.

No comments :