Friday, April 21, 2006

The hill across from the bend in the river

In this famous painting [Click here] of a Native American Village at the bend in the Merrimac River at Shattuck Farm, there is a hill in the background just right of the pine tree which is called Poplar Hill. Since I see this every day going in to work, I figured out how to get there and went for a walk Thursday after a short lunch.
I drove across the river and drove up Poplar Hill Rd and stopped. Walked more or less straight up hill and over and was going to glimpse that side and then return when I did, in fact, glimpse something over there on the northeast facing side of the hill. It turned out to be a little marker pile site made almost exclusively of rock-on-rock. There was one example of a crossed pair, and some other simple piles. This is similar to the hilltop site from Stirling [Click here] I described the other day.
There was one nice example of a "crossed pair" (front and back):
Along the slope a ways I saw a split-wedged rock that was well covered with moss and forest debris.
I maintain that this site is like the site from Stirling and that both are examples of marker pile sites - located on a slope in order to create lines of site to an elevated horizon. Whether this is right or not, there is similarity between the two.

No comments :