Thursday, July 09, 2009

Quartz Platform Pile - Rochester, VT

Norman Muller writes:

Scanning some of the posts on your blog on my return from vacation, I was attracted to the one from Kevin on June 30, which made reference to a platform and retaining walls overlooking a waterfall in Bear's Den in New Salem, MA. This platform reminded me of a quartz platform that Ernie Clifford showed me in Rochester, VT, some years back. Located near the top of a small mountain, this platform was about 15 feet across and constructed nearly entirely of angular quartz rocks built against a huge erratic of gneiss. The platform faced in a westerly direction, and it was my feeling, as well as that of Ernie, that it was used for a vision quest ritual. Given the location of the Bear's Den platform overlooking a spectacular waterfall, it makes sense that it too might have been used as a vision quest site.

No comments :