Sunday, April 23, 2006

Rt 202 Roadtrip - Lots of new sites to report

I have to report on about 5 sites from Saturday's roadtrip with Bruce McAleer and one from a short stroll I took with people from Carlisle today. This may keep me busy blogging for most of the week. So to get started, here is the best rock pile I saw all weekend: This is an unusual pile because from above, the outline looks like this: This certainly is turtle like, although possibly a person could stand on the flat upper surface and go out and stand on the extremity. Here is a view from above, pretty much what I spotted from the highway as we drove past the site: And here is a view of the spring which begins just here, underneath this prominent pile: You can see the highway railing in the background.

A bit further downstream there were smaller piles, mostly on supports, clustered around the brook. In this panorama, there is a bit of a dam across the brook, at the right hand end of the picture.

This is a neat place. Any one of these sites deserves better than to be blitzed like this. But that's what you do on a roadtrip. I hope someone will go spend some time looking more closely at these sites along Rt 202. I'll tell you about the others later.

No comments :