Saturday, April 15, 2006

A minor site on the Carlisle-Billerica line

There's one small site from yesterday and a neat site from today and what looks like some interesting photos from Norman M. - all to be reported on. So I might as well get at it or I'll have a hard time keeping up. Here, anyway, is a site which I can make public according to the rule which says it is OK if the site has already been destroyed. This qualifies because it is or was recently part of a pasture. The description follows:
I had the day off on Friday and spent the morning poking through odds and ends of places in northern Carlisle. I was pretty much done with this and was heading east on Treble Cove Rd when I was reminded of a Wildlife Refuge up a little side street where, in the past, I had been discouraged from finding the entrance. This time I decided not to take "no" for an answer and found my way in through a cattle gate and along the edge of a farmyard into an area of springs and wet ground that was pretty well torn up. But not so torn up as to erase all signs of a small site where the water starts - just a few feet into the woods from the open yard. The piles here are really not much.

These are low ground piles or supported piles. Some suggest a bit of shape and might be effigies.
This next is an old friend I call "Twins" - claiming that these two rocks are selected for their shape and that the pairing is significant. I frequently find piles like this near the edge of a site and have come to think of this as a sign saying "No Tresspassing". If you are interested in the reasoning, read about it in my book excerpts.
This location in Billerica is a Wildlife Refuge posted as "Un-authorized entry not permitted". It seems to be a place for hunters. I ignored the posting and went in anyway. It is good I did because the rest of the day yielded very little and it was nice to find a small site.

No comments :