Saturday, August 27, 2022

A brief moment in Natchaug State Forest

In Natchaug State Forest in northeastern CT, my wife had developed blisters, so we were touring by car. As we turned from Kingsbury Str. onto Old Griffin Rd, I spotted something in the bushes near the road- northeast of the corner. This was the only "mound with hollow" I saw in the course of several days walking and driving about.

Some other views:


If you look closely you can see the mound is built up against a large split rock.
I saw the same thing a couple days ago in Tiverton - a mound built against a large split rock. Hopefully you do not need me to explain the symbolism.

I should mention that I found a small site, a few hundred yards uphill from Fayette Rd, over at the southeastern end of the Hampton Reservoir. Not worth showing pictures, I suspect that the actual structures were too broken down to see clearly.

No comments :