Sunday, August 14, 2022

A walk in Tiverton RI

I parked on Progress Way, behind the Longplex Family Sport Center and dove into the woods, heading south. 

Rt 24 cuts across the upper left of the map fragment and I think I was following the dotted line, indicating an old road, that starts in the middle of where Rt 24 bends to the northeast. There were magnificent walls, mostly cast down and varying greatly in height. [Something wrong with my writing today...sorry].
I was confident that this was good hunting territory and, sure enough, that looked like a mound - not a wall - over behind there:

You see:
From the other direction:
And a closeup:
You can see this as two parallel ridges with a lower place in between - in the spectrum of "rectangular"; possibly with a "hollow".  Another angle:

Continuing my walk, here was a little gateway:

And here was a little knoll, crossed by a wall, and I thought I should climb and look beyond that wall:
Ah! A small site with groupings of piles-on-support:


Some of the piles and boulders seemed to define small spaces:

And then one of the most interesting things was some spurs coming out from the stone wall that also defined spaces (but this might be a different kind of "space"):
I have not seen too many of these but this is my first foray into Rhode Island . It is an hour's drive from Falmouth but I think it is worth it. There are lots of other woods in Tiverton to explore.

3 comments :

Norman said...

Those two mated semicircular enclosures at the very end are fascinating.

pwax said...

Could you build a shelter in such a place?

Norman said...

No, I do not see them as a shelter, but something else entirely. What? I have no idea.