Sunday, January 21, 2024

Guidelines for visiting ceremonial stone landscape (CSL) sites

The Friends of Nashobah and the Friends of Pinehawk are discussing guidelines for public use of CSL's in the Littleton and surrounding Middlesex area. In response to one iteration of proposed guidelines, I wrote:

I am afraid I do not agree with the "broad strokes" of these guidelines. In particular, the religious overtones seem wrong and not in the public's interest. 

I am against the privatization of public resources and of America's past; which I believe belongs to everyone. Everyone should "let the landscape speak", without being told how to experience it. So, I believe it is a poor choice to prevent photography; and I think it is in-appropriate to ask people to say a prayer. 

Teach visitors to be non-destructive and respectful. Tell interesting stories. Otherwise, do not tell visitors what to think or create guidelines that put barriers between them and an experience of the landscape. Insisting that CSL's be perceived only through the lense of modern Native thinking is a bad idea. The goal should be to create lasting memories - which everyone should do in their own way. 

More recent iterations of the guidelines are trending, I think, in this direction.  I think the leaders of those groups are doing an admirable job, putting themselves at the center of a difficult and profound discussion. Readers are invited to comment.

2 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

And where can these guidelines be found?

pwax said...

Good point. I should publish what I was sent but it has already been abandoned.