Monday, January 22, 2024

Is that a petroglyph of a hunting site "bullseye"?

I have been collecting pictures of what I call "funnels". The vocabulary hasn't stabilized yet but I am talking about a "bullseye" pattern of: bald spot, surrounded by light ring of lithic debris, surrounded by a heavier ring of lithic debris, surrounded by a one or more concentric rings of fence post holes. Like this:



And like this:



You see this bullseye pattern over and over in the hills around Las Vegas and I dare say: the inner ring of lithic debris might be a good place to go look carefully at the ground ;)


Imagine my surprise to see this petroglyph, which is not a bad match to these bullseyes:

A few sites have some structure or extra debris at the center but mostly not.

Update: Here it is again:
How about this one:
It re-enforces the idea of a connection with sheep.

No comments :