Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Huge mound - Paradise Pond Princeton

If you go into Leominster State Forest from the west on Rocky Pond Rd., Paradise Pond lies to the south on your right. Soon a dirt road appears to your right, called "King Tut Highway" and you can hang a right and head down along the west side of the pond, east of Wolfden Hill. It is my impression from the past that there are small sites all along that western side of the pond - a grassy under-story beneath the trees. This was the place where I did my first "experiments" finding rock piles, before hand by looking at a map, then confirming by going there. I mention it here. I remember driving out with my wife for the first experiment but cannot find the pictures I took - maybe in the "journal" I kept before blogging. Anyway...

Went to show the place to the Ladies from Harvard and we stayed right of the road at the edge of the drop off to the wetland. Here is a huge mound right in there:
SB in the foreground and GC in the background. GC is standing at the top of a ramp. Ignoring additional terracing and structure that you can glimpse in the video (previous post), the side and top views are something like this:

Here is the view from across the way:
Quite a big mound.

And a smaller pile underfoot (when I was taking the above photo):
The small one is very convincing. The first one was a bit of a mess and it almost seemed like a sand pit with this mound comprising its discards. But seeing the second smaller mound eliminates such doubts.

No comments :