Sunday, April 02, 2006

Platform Stones Near Other Features

By Geophile

Since we're discussing elements that sites may have in common, I'll bring up this one: the flat stone or platform near a boulder or rock pile. I haven't been sure if these happened by chance or if they're purposeful elements, and this seems like a good place to ask that kind of question.

Here's an example, from Oley Hills, Berks County, of a platform stone in front of some interesting boulders.




And here's an example, from Monroe County, of a similar flat rock in front of one of the rock piles in a 'cairn field.' Sorry about the color on this. Something happened to the CD these pictures are on.


Anyone seeing anything comparable out there?

1 comment :

pwax said...

Well you know, I haven't looked for that feature because I never noticed it. But now I'll keep my eyes open.