Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cleared rock pile site at Nashoba Brook, Acton MA

I forgot to take "before" pictures. Here are the "after". It will take a while for this to settle down and for the piles to be washed by the rain. We still have to take down a few more trees. Here are views of the center of the site, from different angles.This one is perhaps the best preserved: Needless to say, these are what I call marker piles. This site is very comparable to the one at Spring Hill that has alread been added to the Acton trail system.

4 comments :

Tim MacSweeney said...

I'm curious about that stone row - does it enclose an area?

pwax said...

It encloses this area, maybe 15 acres?

Tim MacSweeney said...

Wow! That's large indeed. That guy who writes the Traces in the Woods blog has some sort of access to aerial photos going back in time that I can't figure out how to do. I wonder if there weren't more of them that got "borrowed" at some point (or something like that...

Menotomy Maps said...

I’m the “Traces In The Woods” guy.
The best I could find was a 1960’s aerial photo, but it was from 2400 feet and you cannot make out stone walls.
Google Earth from 1995 shows the walls.
You can be sure those walls were built from convenient sources and stones would have been pulled from these piles. Though some of the more effigy-ish piles have flat stones on them and so were untouched by the fence builders.
What I’ve found interesting is the elevation of this place. Surprisingly you can view all of the major local high places from here.