Friday, April 15, 2022

Fahnestock: O...M...G

Well we drove from Woods Hole, MA to East Fishkill, NY and the hills got steeper and steeper. So more and more of the woods was visible from the road - especially in early morning light. I spotted rock piles occasionally, then as we are leaving Connecticut, they were visible on nearly every hill we passed. It got more and more intense, till we are on the final approaches to the "King's Chamber" hike. There, it got more and more and more rugged, with nearly every rock having piles. The hike in and out from the chamber were pretty intense. So much so that, I kept seeing valleys to the side and wishing I had the energy to explore them, with rock piles off in the distance as far as the eye could see. More later about that.

You exit the Taconic State Parkway and head east on Pudding Str. Then you turn off onto a dirt road Waywayando Rd. But before then, on Pudding Str, on the border of Kent, NY, I spotted some big things, and had to pull over and grab a few photos. Like many roadside stops we made, I am insecure about parking and always am a bit rushed. There is a body of water in the background here, it is a reservoir called Waywayando Lake and circling the lake would be a grand adventure. Here I am, a few feet from the car being astounded. When I call this a "minor site", it is a bit tongue in cheek. (Also it is Kent NY not CT)

Some photos. I did not feel like I could get far from the car. I was visible from the house across the street. This is the first glimpse:
Then as I step out:
A view across the slope:
[I suspect everywhere around this Waywayando Lake, is worth seeing.] One more:
We parked here and ate lunch, after our hike to the chamber. Surely an intriguing place. All the more since this was just a glimpse.

No comments :