Friday, April 15, 2022

King's Chamber

Hard to describe the wonder of this moment. Let's start. 

It is April 3 with a light rain. We start at the end of Waywayando Rd (at 'A').


We have the place to ourselves and the path is flooded. The first signs of spring:
We make our way around the flood and begin a slog [I put on 20 lbs during the pandemic] up a slope at 'B'. There are rock piles all around, especially down the hillside to the left. Then we come out to some power lines. You cross below them and head up another slog and then back down (about under the word 'California' on the map.) It was on the downslope that I started taking photos. Here we are at 'C'
See what I mean about rock piles going off in the distance? From above, I was watching that outcrop at the center - fully expecting it to be built into a pile. It was. But I find the line of structures in the foreground to be curious. On the left, an oval of rocks. Then a few "random" small boulders. Then a bit of a crescent, opening in the direction of the oval. No time or energy to study it. 

Somewhere, there is a false trail off to the right (as we are headed towards 'F', from 'C') and then a bit down from 'F' a fork in the old road we are on. We go left and then, the path is flooded again. We cross and get off the road and onto a narrower footpath. This takes us around a couple outcrops and over to the chamber (at 'E'). As we are heading in that direction, I cannot help but admire the opposite slope - a steep hill, laced with walls - and the occasional mound (at 'D'):

If I was twenty pounds lighter, I could imagine running over there to have a quick look. By the time we got to the chamber, the slope over there was quite rocky. In fact you could probably hear the cascade from a small waterfall, across from the chamber:
(The waterfall is the spot of white, near the center of the photo). I was facing in this direction, when Barb started exclaiming about what was behind me:
Here is Barb's video:
I cannot put into words my feelings about how this amazing structure, high in the barren hills, could be called a "root cellar". Too stupid for words! Meanwhile, someone - possibly "New Agers" decided to add a standing stone in the "portico". Here is the reverse photo:

From the side:

So that gives you a brief glimpse of this place. I cannot recommend it enough. The chamber is magnificent and the surroundings even more so. About an hour north of NYC.

I should mention, that as we were heading towards 'C', there was a
box canyon that seemed peculiar, and somehow parallel to the chamber. Here is another Barb video:

Third day of a five day trip. Almost ready to blog the remainder. Nothing compared to this place.

No comments :