Wednesday, April 06, 2022

Unique Structures

By "unique structure" I mean a one-of-kind structure that you have never seen before, cannot put in context, and have no clue about. Sometimes you can guess the function but the point I want to make is that these can be easily interpreted as a "prayers in stone", meaning an individual and specific thought gave rise to the building of this structure. 

For example an effigy:

Wilderness Hill, Littleton

Or the use of a peculiar landscape feature:

Pudding Street, East Fishkill

I think we can do a better than calling everything a "prayer". Let me tell you about two small things I saw, while walking back from the King's Chamber in Fahnestock. I did not photo either one but found myself thinking about their details later that night, while hoping to go back to sleep.

So, we were trudging back up the trail, around 'F' on the map, and I saw a small pile next to the trail made of four rocks on a support boulder: a wedge -shaped 'head' rock about eight inches long and three smaller rocks lying around it. I took a few steps off the path to look more closely. The head rock was shaped like a fox head. The ears were well-formed little points sticking out from back corners of the wedge. They looked artificially enhanced. The snout was squared off. There were little cracks and curves shaping an eye, in the correct place [I only looked at one side]. Of the three smaller rocks, one was a palm-sized little manitou stone; one was a small, black, cube of rock; and one was a small, beige, rock I didn't examine. The whole collection seemed too messy to be an effigy and I decided it was "uninteresting" and didn't need a photo. Seeing something new for the first time, my mind was not even processing it.

The other example, was around 'B'. on the map. We were tired at the end of the walk and I did not have the energy to go down and have a close look. But what I could see from about 30 yards away was a boulder with four black, round, shiny component rocks sitting on top of it. Like four fat plums, laid out in a square on a table top. Again, no photo.

I was thinking about both of these piles later, especially the "uninteresting" fox head with black cube and mini manitou. Speaking of "prayers in stone" this pile does seem very individual and specific. But it makes me think of that "wing of bat... chicken bone... blood of virgin"-sort of combination of elements, which I associate to a spell not to a prayer. Or what about the four black "plums" on the table? 

Actually these structures seem to be more like incantations than prayers. Are spells and prayers the same thing? To me, the idea of a 'spell' has me looking at the details in a way that the idea of a 'prayer' does not. 

No comments :