Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Woodbridge 4 - Things I saw that were unusual

While walking around the Elderslie Preserve in Woodbridge, CT. I saw several things I am not used to seeing. I thought I would mention them explicitly. These are some of the ways that Woodbridge is "out of step" with the typical sites I see. This might be because of the Paugusett who lived there, or for other reasons. I might not have noticed these things, except that Tim MacSweeney pointed out some of them. Here are some unusual things:

Stone circles, by a foresight:


In all cases there is a feature, I am calling a 'foresight', that is adjacent to the circle. It is hard to not assume they were used together.

Wall dips:
I showed one yesterday from Bladen's River, CT Saw another at King's Chamber in Fahnenstock, NY.
What looks like part of the wall, at the low point of the 'dip', is actually a rock pile beyond the wall. Look closely at the different focuses. There is a pointy rock in the wall on the right side of the dip. I imagine it's shadow hitting the pile behind the wall, perhaps going through the hole? That might even be a piece of white feldspar built into the dip, like the dip had quartz in CT.

Zig-zag "snake" in a spring
(Tim MacSweeney's photo, me and my wife in the background)
While Tim was taking that photo, I was taking this one:
Hard to make out. Tim pointed out how the brook was forming to the side of the zig-zag:

Manitou stone at a wall end:

Cupules
These little divots in the rocks were completely unusual. For one, these holes are not symmetric and many are too small to serve as mortars. For another they are not always on a horizontal surface. For another they seem to form patterns on the surface:

To call these "mortars" would be a failure of observation.
[Here, Tim warned me about climbing on the thing. I took a chance to get a better photo. When I watched Barb's video, later, I noticed some helpful little stepping stones to help someone get on top of the rock. So I do not feel so bad.]

Note the vertical surface:
What are these?

1 comment :

pwax said...

I should not have been climbing around on it. OTOH I could have told Tim it was OK, since the snake is my cousin.