Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Woodbridge 2 - Bladen's River

Early morning, Barb and I climbed a steep slope. I was barely making it and said: let's just get to the top of this rise, so I can look around the level spot. We followed a busy brook uphill, and there was a little waterfall at the edge of the level spot, with a mound next to that. What I was hoping to see:

Closeup:

The sound of gurgling water was always near. This is something we saw again at Cahoonzie: a mound next to a small cascade. Here is Barb's video:
This little hanging valley was a beautiful spot. 

***

I was looking at the stone wall and noticed something interesting.

There is a low place in the stone wall, a dip, that was deliberate. There were no fallen rocks next to the wall, so the dip was built into the stone wall. I noticed that you could see a split rock, beyond the wall, and seemingly made visible by the dip. Closer:

That bit of quartz does make it seem that something special is going on here. Maybe this is another viewing "slit":
Upon closer inspection, the split boulder turned out to be wedged:
I wanted to explore more - this is just a side trail off the main Naugatuck Trail- but was too exhausted to get further up hill. This was the first of several times during our trip where I simply did not have the energy to go to the obvious next spot on the map. I am sure we missed as much as we saw.

Judge's Rock Hill is the hill across the valley in this last photo.

1 comment :

Tim MacSweeney said...

"South Facing Slope of Bladens Brook Open Space"
https://wakinguponturtleisland.blogspot.com/2014/04/south-facing-slope-of-bladens-brook.html