Monday, December 22, 2014

Right under his nose

Here is a little story. I was looking at this short stretch of wall:
and an adjacent rock pile:
 (view back towards wall; according to my photos, there was another small pile at the lower end of the wall)
A small yellow lab ran up barking but wanting to be friends and I stopped to say hello to him and his owner. Since we had stopped right at this rock pile I thought I would poll the owner and asked politely: 
 - What do you think of that thing you are standing on?
- (him) What? I don't understand what you mean.
- I mean the thing you are standing on. 
- (him) Oh, this rock? 
He had a foot on one rock. I gestured at the whole pile and said something like (apologizing for intruding):
- No, I mean the whole thing
- (him) I guess it is a collection of rocks.
- Do you think it is man made? I ask
- (him) It's hard to say.
I pause and then say:
- It is not hard at all. 
Then we discussed the nearby wall, and agreed the wall was for some other purpose than the rock pile.

5 comments :

Mike Parker said...

is this Adams Farm again?

pwax said...

No this is the highpoint of land, two ridges west of Noon Hill, in Medfield.

pwax said...

Of course, you could meet a friendly lab just about anywhere :)

Mike Parker said...

cool. I love Noon Hill also.

pwax said...

I got more to tell about the place.