Saturday, March 10, 2007

Rocky Pond Community Forest in Northborough MA

I parked and walked in along a gully towards the pond which was, I think south or southwest. In the snow I could easily scan a number of rocks as I went in and I did soon see a rock-on-rock, and then several more, to my right on the western side of the gully.
They are pretty in the snow. At all times I am wondering if my legs will carry me further without tiring. But they held up. My eye was led upwards several times to the right. Here is one example of rock-on-rocks leading the eye upwards:
When I got to the pond I saw this:
I turned around and came back via the other side and then the first side of the gully. Again my eyes were drawn upwards:And this time I went up to look above and found other rock-on-rocks and this:
And a last rock-on-rock:
From first to last these rock-on-rocks and minor piles are scattered over one part of the hillside stretching from the higher shoulder down into the gully. The only reason I can imagine for this particular restricted location on the western slope of the gully is that there is a particular angle of view down the gully (perhaps to the northeast?) that is available only from this angle.

No comments :