Wednesday, September 08, 2010

European megaliths compared to New England stone structures

From Chris:

...I have an interest in megalithic sites in Europe and am often intrigued by similarities between stone ruins there and stuff I come across here. I have attached some pictures I have taken in North Germany. There are lots of things in Germany similar to stonework here that I believe was built by Indians. You can find low ground piles that marked burials, cairns with hollows, stone chambers big and small, and propped boulders. I don't find any stone rows, prayer seats, split wedged boulders or other similar constructs. The biggest difference in Europe is the archaeology associated with these places. Excavations at these sites have yielded artifacts from different cultures in the Stone Age and Bronze Age. In addition to grave goods like pottery and finely worked flint tools, simple blades and other materials typical of habitation sites have been found. Without this archaeology, dating these European prehistoric sites would not have been possible.
("Totenhaus Tesperhude")

("Visbek Kellersteine")


One more batch of pictures from sites in Germany. I have also visited a number of sites made up of low earthen mounds. I believe that similar sites in New England would go completely unnoticed. The majority of megalithic sites I have seen in Germany were marked by signs visible from the road, even those on private property. Vandalism does not seem to be an issue at these places. Local people rake the leaves out from time to time. I wish we had a similar attitude towards archaeological sites.

6 comments :

pwax said...

The Visbek Kellersteine makes me think of Tim MacSweeney.

Unlike the turtles in the California desert, this one is from a country with a religious history that, as far as we know, does not include turtles.

Tim MacSweeney said...

I'll ask my German relatives about that.

Tim MacSweeney said...

It means the "Something" Cellar Stone.

JimP said...

Visbek, Germany -- it's a place.

Sky Dix said...

I agree, it looks incredibly similar to the sites in New England. It's quite amazing! My name is Sky Dix, my father is Byron Dix who was an archaeo astronomer and author of Manitou. I grew up around these sites as my father did his research. We have a stone in the family that my father found very similar to the stone in your example 1. We call her the Madona rock, she has the female figure. I notice even the ground and vegetation in your photos looks so similar to the New England Landscapes. It's like Calendar One in another dimension. When you talk about vandalism I get a little sad when I think about the chamber at Calendar One. At Calendar One there were 4 sacred stones within the chamber...when my Dad was doing research he ended up taking 3 of the 4 stones into his possesion and he was afraid to put them back into the chamber because of fear that they would be stolen and go into the wrong hands. After my father died my family returned 3 of the stones with our native friends present. Each stone back in their riteful place within the chamber. There is an electricity at Calendar One, this unbelievable feeling of being within this magnetic field. I was a child but, it felt like I was in a whole new world. The year following we went back to the chamber but something felt dead about the site. It was very quiet, and the air was still. When we went into the chamber the stones were gone. The fourth stone was in the possesion of Betty S. who refused to give the stone back because she was concerned about the vandalism. The last time I saw that stone was when I was about 15, Betty was a master dowser and she was a guide for us in finding sites. When I was little she dowsed my energy waves and the earths energy waves, we both had nine. She could dowse over a paper map and point to a spot on the map and she would know there was a sacred site just by dowsing and my father and Jim Mavor would find the site. Sadly Betty became very ill with Alzheimers and my mother tried getting the stone back from her family but it was lost. It's a double edged sword I suppose..

Sometimes I stumble upon blogs and sites like this and it's so refreshing and reminds me of my childhood.
Thanks so much for sharing!

pwax said...

Coming back to this in 2013, I no longer see anything in the pictures that reminds me of New England. The first rock pile - strange velodrome-shaped donut is not something familiar, and the rock piles, although smeared, have a flat surface facing upward more frequently than my eyes are used to from looking at similar smears in New England.