Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Point Reyes Walls

I guess we all have California fever, from visiting websites about the "Mystery Walls" of California. I was struck by this one (from here):

Walking toward the next stone, some quarter of a mile distant, I had time to examine the immediate landscape more closely. The more I looked the more amazed I became. I seemed to find traces of an ancient civilization everywhere. There were numerous places where stones from the field had been gathered together and piled into mounds, exactly like those ancient graves in the British Isles. Why had no archeologist every excavated this place?

Love to see some pics of those "mounds".

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

You can see the Point Reyes "wall" (more like a line) on Google Earth.

dc.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure those ancient mounds are natural granite outcroppings. I visited the wall and explored it extensively on June 11, 2013, posted my photos on Panaramio, Google Earth. The wall itself is authentic. It's probably related to the mysterious East Bay Walls, though no one is sure. The East Bay Walls are much more extensive. You can find some Google Earth KMZs of the East Bay Walls, and some are clearly visible on Google Earth. There's been no serious archaeological study of this wall or the East Bay Walls.