Saturday, February 04, 2006

The lessons of the day (site visit with Bruce #2)

I guess I should go back to previously discovered sites more often - I am in less of panic to scope out the place and grab a bunch of pictures, and I have more time to dwell on the details. Today several interesting things were revealed:
  • new kinds of prayer seats at the base-of-hill/top-of-watershed
  • rock-on-rocks placed in line with a split rock
  • piles with small holes or "aperatures" through which you can see something else - not in the sky but on the ground
  • a fine pile built with a niche at its base containing a lighter rock with clusters of small garnet crystals.
This is cool stuff and these are certainly not things I noticed previously when I have visited here. So lets take a quick look at each of these, and we'll hope to fill in more details later. The weekend is a time for gathering new data - but that does not leave a lot of time for documenting it. That can happen during the week.
Here is an old beat up prayer seat, hard to differentiate against a background of tumbled and scattered rocks at the base of a hill. Bruce is standing on a loose curved structure of rocks. They form a vague enclosure, if you look carefully.
Here is another view. Note the two pointed rocks at the back. Presumably a person would sit between these pointed rocks. They are reminiscent of "manitou" stones.

Here is a picture of a pile, seen through a split in the rock.
I noticed this sort of thing several times today and started thinking that things can be seen in relation to a split. The whole day there were examples of seeing one feature on the ground through another. The most dramatic example of this was a pile with a hole in it, what I call an "aperature pile".
I chanced to look through the hole and there was only one thing visible: the large propped up boulder on a ridge, illustrated earlier. There was an entire site of aperature piles, which I will discuss more later.

The last lesson I mention, was finding little clusters of garnets on a
rock which appeared ensconced at the base of this interesting pile, I cannot illustrate the garnets. I did not think I could get the detail of the garnets easily but here is the pile they were at the base of.
This is a pretty amazing pile. It is a divided pile and you can see a boulder behind through the space. It is a deliberate space - perhaps another example of seeing things through other things or maybe I just had that idea stuck in my mind today.

No comments :