Thursday, March 02, 2006

Nonnewaug continued from Tim M

Of course I had to go to the river and look again at a big line of boulders of similar size and shape that I’d seen a hundred times before:And I thought about a row of Turtles in a row one facing east, the next facing west, etc. And I thought about the name of this section of town which translates to “The Fresh Water Fishing Place.”

And in my yard was and is a large zigzag row of boulders of similar shape and size:
I’ve lost the pictures of the excavation in a computer crash, but I removed leaves and periwinkle to find two feet for this turtle (I added another headstone for the picture).
It has toes carved into each stone that is shaped to fit into the carapace.

I expanded the chicken yard many years ago, back when we operated a group home here and Arthur Judson lived with us. They were his chickens. Arthur slowly removed junk from a pile that we enclosed, as the chickens pecked and scratched the dirt off of it.

Eventually only stone was left. These seem to be of a certain pattern, although only about a third of the size of the others.

No comments :